Lifestyle Writer

A Narrative True To Life

June 30, 2004

playground
Graduate from highschool. Decide that highschool wasn’t really important anyways and hide your yearbooks in the cardboard box underneath your single-person bed. Spend the first days of summer vacation cleaning your room and leaving six garbage bags outside for the recycling truck. Then give your photo albums to your mom so you can resist the urge to pull out your purple scissors and cut out the faces of all your so-called friends. Paint your nails pink and organize your jewelry box.

Phone people a lot to keep in touch. Leave detailed messages with parents and answering machines. Nobody returns your phone-calls. Decide to go to the library on a Tuesday. Your authors include Emerson, Thoreau and some LM Alcott. The library is air-conditioned. You see people studying for summer school classes. You ignore that sad feeling inside. Head over to the mall and buy yourself a bubbletea. Coconut or Almond flavor, you say, wondering why anyone who ever agree to wear that blazing shade of yellow for a t-shirt.

Philosophize about life a lot. At night you sit in your backyard in your tacky blue lawn chair and watch the stars come out. You think about existence and your role in the universe. Meanwhile the skies become so full of stars that just when you think there couldn’t possibly be any more room you see another one twinkling. You get scared and start thinking about your future. Think about suicide. You go back inside the house and watch Clueless for the seventh time.

Your parents start fighting more than usual. You go biking longer than usual. See people from your highschool and ignore them. Meet furry cats and interesting specimens of insects. Boys in blue jeans or corded shorts watch you go by with blank uninteresting eyes in groups of two and threes. Think about that guy you used to be in love with a lot and wonder who’s he kissing now. His last girlfriend had curly brown hair and big eyes. Decide you dislike her. You narrowly avoid collision with a truck at an intersection while daydreaming about her with no hair.

You meet Pat the Bunny. Learn Japanese phrases and words. During the day you spend all of your time at a friend’s house. At night you spend all your time on the phone with the same friend. Visit Chinatown and Granville Island and find the most beautiful wooden bed in the entire world. You want to buy that bed. You look at the price tag and decide to buy it when you get a job. Your friend opens up to you a lot. Your conversations last until midnight or 1am. Talk about personal stuff. You start thinking of her as your best friend.

You look at the calendar one day and realize summer is almost over. Start thinking about college and the campus. You wonder if this will be better than highschool. Decide to think about it later.

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

• Reply Carolyn January 31, 2005 at 6:03 pm

Itโ€™s the sad truth but people always say they want to keep in touch yet doing it is so much harder.. Anyway, love the new layout ๐Ÿ™‚ The green is awesome.

• Reply Carolyn January 31, 2005 at 6:03 pm

It’s the sad truth but people always say they want to keep in touch yet doing it is so much harder.. Anyway, love the new layout. ๐Ÿ™‚ The green is awesome.

• Reply Jenny February 1, 2005 at 6:33 am

wow, I love this entry. Makes me think of what could be happening to me this summer after I graduate from high school. The transition to University scares me a lot. I take a long time to adapt to my surroundings at school. Especially in high school, I didnโ€™t actually settle in till last year. And now, this september in University, with so many student bodies, I donโ€™t know how I ever will get comfortable.

Write more like this! I love it =) O. P.S I am back. =p lol

• Reply navywing February 1, 2005 at 9:53 am

Oh yay new layout! Itโ€™s nice, very nice. I should get started on mine eh? ๐Ÿ˜› I actually have it on the server, just not set up. Bleh, I need some time.

Btw, I like your entry. *Hugs*

• Reply Tammy February 1, 2005 at 12:10 pm

How interesting. Despite the fact that so many things are changing, when I think of grade 9, and now, in grade 12, I canโ€™t exactly say that I regret things happening as they have. Oh well, theyโ€™re behind you and a part of you.

But yea, Iโ€™ll think about university later.

• Reply Jenny February 1, 2005 at 6:33 am

wow, I love this entry. Makes me think of what could be happening to me this summer after I graduate from high school. The transition to University scares me a lot. I take a long time to adapt to my surroundings at school. Especially in high school, I didn’t actually settle in till last year. And now, this september in University, with so many student bodies, I don’t know how I ever will get comfortable.

Write more like this! I love it =) O. P.S I am back. =p lol

• Reply navywing February 1, 2005 at 9:53 am

Oh yay new layout! It’s nice, very nice. I should get started on mine eh? ๐Ÿ˜› I actually have it on the server, just not set up. Bleh, I need some time.

Btw, I like your entry. *Hugs*

• Reply Rebecca February 1, 2005 at 6:45 pm

pat the bunny? hahah aww

• Reply Tammy February 1, 2005 at 12:10 pm

How interesting. Despite the fact that so many things are changing, when I think of grade 9, and now, in grade 12, I can’t exactly say that I regret things happening as they have. Oh well, they’re behind you and a part of you.

But yea, I’ll think about university later.

• Reply Kenneth February 2, 2005 at 1:18 am

Ahh, the true life. Very well written.
    Iโ€™ll figure it out later too ๐Ÿ˜›

• Reply Rebecca February 1, 2005 at 6:45 pm

pat the bunny? hahah aww

• Reply Kenneth February 2, 2005 at 1:18 am

Ahh, the true life. Very well written.
    I’ll figure it out later too ๐Ÿ˜›

• Reply Lisa February 2, 2005 at 7:06 pm

gorgeous new look. ๐Ÿ˜€

wow, isnโ€™t life a trip. every little event could be a lesson. i loved the entry, beautifully written. sounded like a summer with lots of growing up, cheers.

• Reply Lisa February 2, 2005 at 7:06 pm

gorgeous new look. ๐Ÿ˜€

wow, isn’t life a trip. every little event could be a lesson. i loved the entry, beautifully written. sounded like a summer with lots of growing up, cheers.

• Reply Eunice February 3, 2005 at 2:48 pm

wow did you write that? cus that is definately true, all the things mentioned. its funny how we all grow up and get separated from the people we once thought we loved. and i also think its funny how things change and we dont know how to react to it. your entry made me think alot about my own life. thanks dude. you are awesome =)

• Reply Eunice February 3, 2005 at 2:48 pm

• Reply Linda February 4, 2005 at 7:06 pm

wow. that was awesome ๐Ÿ˜

• Reply Linda February 4, 2005 at 7:06 pm

wow. that was awesome ๐Ÿ˜

• Reply Clement February 7, 2005 at 1:35 pm

thatโ€™s how it is. might not be exactly, but we all get the idea. but then again, lifei s what you make out of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ i love the entry anyway.

• Reply Clement February 7, 2005 at 1:35 pm

that’s how it is. might not be exactly, but we all get the idea. but then again, lifei s what you make out of it. ๐Ÿ™‚ i love the entry anyway.